When I think of cream cheese and cake, I automatically go to cheesecake. I've made my fair share of homemade cheesecakes over the years. This cake, however, is not a cheesecake. It's a traditional cake that has the most delectable cream cheese frosting, and it is perfect for spring.
What Makes This Coconut Cream Cake So Good?
To list just a few of the yummy ingredients, this cake has:
- Shredded Coconut
- White and Brown Sugars
- Cream Cheese Frosting
What more do you need for a delicious cake?
Does Coconut Cake Need To Be Refrigerated?
I usually store my cakes in a cake dish with a cover or in the microwave. You don't necessarily have to keep this in the refrigerator just because it has coconut. You might, however, want to keep it refrigerated due to the cream cheese frosting.
It will dry out after a couple of days, so keep that in mind. I don’t expect this coconut cake to last more than a day, anyway – my family loved it! They love when I come up with new cake recipes, especially coconut cake.
Can You Freeze Coconut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting?
Yes! As I said, you can leave this one sitting out at room temperature, probably for around eight hours before you need to cover and store it in the fridge. The frosting should be good for up to three days in the fridge or up to a month in the freezer.
If you want to make this one ahead, cover it well with plastic wrap and freeze for up to a month. When you’re ready to enjoy it, let it sit out on the counter for an hour or so to thaw.
What Supplies Do You Need To Make Cream Cheese Cake?
You will need a few standard baking supplies. First, determine if you are going to make this cake in layers or a sheet pan. You'll also need a mixer, particularly for the cream cheese frosting, and of course, an oven to make this one.
It's effortless, and it makes a beautiful homemade Easter dessert idea.
Printable Recipe Card and Nutrition Info
For The Cake:
- 8.4 oz. (240 g) of butter, softened
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups of shredded coconut
- 2 cups of flour
For the cream:
- 12.3 oz (350 g) of cream cheese
- 7 oz. (200 g) of butter
- 6 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease two 23 cm/9-inch cake pans.
- Cream softened butter with both white and brown sugar, add vanilla. Add egg yolks, stir and pour in buttermilk.
- Separately whisk flour with baking powder. Add dry ingredients into butter and egg mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in coconut.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Incorporate fluffy egg white into the batter by folding it in carefully.
- Divide the batter between two cake pans and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes and let cool down.
- For the cream frosting, mix butter and cream cheese. Start adding powdered sugar while whisking constantly.
- Spread cream over one cake layer and top with nuts. Add second cake on top and cover the whole thing with cream. Add leftover walnuts to the sides of the cake.
Serving Size:11.6 oz. (330 g)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1376Total Fat: 77.4gSaturated Fat: 43.9gCholesterol: 270mgSodium: 527mgCarbohydrates: 163.3gFiber: 3.3gSugar: 133.8gProtein: 15.8g