Broccoli cheese soup is my all time favorite. Seriously, ever time we go to a restaurant I have to check the menu for this stuff. It’s just so delicious and what better lunch than a small salad and a steaming bowl of scrumptious broccoli cheese soup? Honestly, I have never made it at home…until now. I had always just ordered it whenever I went to a restaurant that had it. I never even thought about making my own but I am so glad that I tried out this recipe.
This homemade broccoli cheese soup is better than anything I have ever tried in a restaurant. Honestly – that could be because it’s homemade but it really does have a wonderful flavor. With roasted broccoli and cheddar cheese, you just can’t go wrong with this one. Note that the recipe doesn’t actually say cheddar cheese, although that’s my favorite so it’s what I used when I made this one. You can use any type of cheese that you want. I honestly thing swiss would be really tasty – I just haven’t gotten around to trying it with swiss cheese yet. But, I do know that it would be a wonderful brunch soup and would serve up nicely with this homemade salmon wellington.
In just 10 minutes, you can have this delicious broccoli and cheese soup ready to cook. It only cooks for about 40 minutes so you will be able to enjoy it soon enough, but it also gives you time to cook other things if you want, like these yummy chocolate chip cookies. They are still my family’s favorite, and they really love this broccoli cheese soup, too. If you want a wholesome soup that is really filling and so tasty, you are definitely going to want to give this recipe a try.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 300 g (10 oz)
1 large head of broccoli
1 tbsp. of olive oil
¼ cup of butter
4 tbsps. of flour
4 cups of milk
1 cup of cream
3 cups of cheese, shredded
1 tsp. of powdered chicken stock
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
1. Cut broccoli into florets, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375F/190C for 20 minutes to roast.
2. Sauté onion in melted butter until translucent. Add flour, garlic powder and chicken stock, then stir to make a paste. Cook for a minute more. Start pouring milk slowly while whisking constantly. Add cream and 2/3 of your roasted broccoli florets.
3. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
4. Blend the soup until smooth and add cheese. Wait until cheese melts completely.
5. Serve topped with leftover roasted broccoli.
Fresh broccoli and cheddar cheese give this broccoli cheese soup its delicious flavor
Freshly roasted broccoli really helps to bring out the flavor of this soup
Simmer your soup for 40 minutes, or add it to a slow cooker for an even longer cooking time
Serve this delicious soup topped with extra cheese and roasted broccoli
This is a wholesome soup that the entire family will love
- Cut broccoli into florets, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 190C/375F for 20 minutes to roast.
- Sauté onion in melted butter until translucent. Add flour, garlic powder and chicken stock, then stir to make a paste. Cook for a minute more. Start pouring milk slowly while whisking constantly. Add cream and 2/3 of your roasted broccoli florets.
- Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the soup until smooth and add cheese. Wait until cheese melts completely.
- Serve topped with leftover roasted broccoli.
Serving Size:300 g (10 oz)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 488Total Fat: 34.8gSaturated Fat: 20.5gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 615mgCarbohydrates: 23.4gFiber: 3.4gSugar: 11.3gProtein: 23.5g