Growing up, my mom used to make potato cakes, which were my favorite. I loved those little things so much and have made them many times over the years for my own family.
Recently I came across this great recipe that puts a new spin on my old favorite. This particular potato patty recipe includes spinach and has a number of other wonderful flavor enhancers. You can imagine my surprise. I thought all potato cakes were alike!
Now that I’ve made these and tried them, I have to say that they are a better version of my old favorite. Instead of just potato, you get a number of wonderful flavors in this one and it’s the perfect appetizer or you could just have it as an anytime snack.
I do love my appetizer recipes and my family does as well, so I tried serving these instead of my go to favorite, these fried cheese sticks with buttermilk sauce. They loved them and now I have two go to favorites when it comes to choosing an good appetizer.
What I like about these potato spinach patties, aside from the fact that they get my family to eat spinach, is they are pretty easy to make. I’m a sucker for an easy recipe, especially when it turns into something so delicious.
The spinach, garlic and mushrooms are wonderful and these have such a rich taste, not at all what I expected when I was making them. But, I was pleasantly surprised. They really are a delicious appetizer, just like these wonderful avocado fries.
If you’re looking for a new appetizer recipe or you just want something that is wholesome and delicious and guaranteed to please your picky eaters, I recommend this one. I love the flavor and texture and I’m big enough to admit that sometimes those old fashioned recipes can be improved upon. That is definitely the case here and I can’t wait for you to try these!
Potato spinach patties
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 130 g (4.5 oz)
1 pound (500 g) of boiled potatoes, peeled and mashed
1/3 cup of cream
1 medium onion, finely chopped
9 oz (250 g) of fresh spinach
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups of cremini mushrooms, chopped
1 cup of breadcrumbs
Olive oil for frying
Sour cream for serving
1. Mix potatoes with cream and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add breadcrumbs and mix finely.
3. Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent, and then add mushrooms and cook until all the excess liquid evaporates. Stir in fresh spinach and minced garlic. Leave over heat until spinach is wilted. Season with salt.
4. Combine spinach and mushrooms with potato and form into six even patties.
5. Fry each patty in olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
These potato patties are unlike anything you’ve ever tried – and you will love them!
Boiled potatoes, egg, and cream give them a wonderful flavor
Cremini mushrooms, garlic and spinach complement the flavor of the potatoes
Pat into round shapes and fry until golden brown
Serve with sour cream for a delicious and easy appetizer
- Mix potatoes with cream and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add breadcrumbs and mix finely.
- Heat about a teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent, and then add mushrooms and cook until all the excess liquid evaporates. Stir in fresh spinach and minced garlic. Leave over heat until spinach is wilted. Season with salt.
- Combine spinach and mushrooms with potato and form into six even patties.
- Fry each patty in olive oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
Serving Size:4.5 oz
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 167 Total Fat: 2.7g Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 187mg Carbohydrates: 29.9g Fiber: 4.1g Sugar: 3.7g Protein: 6.8g