Do you have trouble getting your family to each healthy foods? And by healthy foods, I mean spinach. I have so much trouble getting my children to eat spinach and this is one food that is really, really good for you. I wish I had found this recipe sooner. Honestly, these light and fluffy little pies are so delicious and they’re full of healthy ingredients, like spinach. I tried these one night to serve as an appetizer and I am happy to report that they were an instant hit.
If you tend to have trouble getting your family, or yourself, to each spinach, then I highly recommend that you try these pastries. They’re filled with spinach as well as feta and mozzarella cheese and they’re all encased in a wonderfully light puff pastry. This is one appetizer that I will definitely be making again…and again. Have I mentioned my love of appetizers? We sometimes just have appetizers for dinner – on somewhat rare occasions – and this is definitely going on my appetizer dinner list. These baked avocado fries with jalapeno sauce made that list, as well.
I am always on the lookout for a good appetizer recipe, particularly one that is light and healthy. I love brunches and host them somewhat regularly during the warmer months – you know, when the snow doesn’t interfere with everyone’s travel. These mini spinach and feta pies are perfect for a brunch or even a light morning snack. I plan to add them to the menu for my next brunch. I think they will go wonderfully with my salmon wellington.
If you are looking for a great appetizer that is light and fluffy and really delicious, not to mention filled with healthy ingredients, these little pies are definitely something you should try. They only take about 40 minutes, that includes 10 minutes of prep time, and you get eight little pies for each recipe. You just won’t find an easier or more tasty spinach pie recipe than this one.
Mini Spinach Feta Pies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 120 g (4 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 degrees C).
2. Lightly roll the puff pastry and cut into eight 3×3-inch (7.5×7.5 cm) squares. Press the puff pastry into muffin molds to cover them completely.
3. Mix frozen spinach with feta and mozzarella cheese, add garlic and eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Fill in each puff pastry cup with feta-spinach mixture. Brush excess dough with a little bit of olive oil.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Puff pastry, spinach, feta and mozzarella give these little pies big flavor
Combine spinach, feta, mozzarella, garlic, and eggs to get a creamy mixture
Fill puff pastry cups with spinach mixture
The pastries bake up light and fluffy and full of flavor
The perfect appetizer or light and delicious snack!
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 F).
- Lightly roll the puff pastry and cut into eight 3x3-inch (7.5x7.5 cm) squares. Press the puff pastry into muffin molds to cover them completely.
- Mix frozen spinach with feta and mozzarella cheese, add garlic and eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill in each puff pastry cup with feta-spinach mixture. Brush excess dough with a little bit of olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Serving Size:120 g (4 oz.)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 273Total Fat: 20.7gSaturated Fat: 5.5gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 315mgCarbohydrates: 15.3gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 1.1gProtein: 6.9g