It’s not often you find a great meat and potatoes dish that can serve as your entire meal. This simple potato cake with onions and ham is that dish. If you’re looking for something quick and easy that serves as a meal in just one dish, you have to try this recipe. It is absolutely delicious and it’s so easy to make.
This is one of those one dish recipes that you’ll be glad you have on busy weeknights when you really just don’t want to tackle several dishes at once. Potatoes and ham give it loads of protein and who wouldn’t love a great meat and potatoes dish?
I made this for my somewhat picky eaters and they loved it. I’m thinking you could also use bacon as opposed to ham, but ham gives the dish such a wonderful flavor. This really is a wholesome dinner idea that is as easy to make as it is delicious.
It’s as easy to make as this cast iron skillet chicken pot pie – and just as delicious. Now, you have two meals that you can go to when you need something quick and really filling.
I really do love it when I find a recipe that my whole family enjoys and even more so when that recipe gives me a wholesome meal in under an hour. This one only takes about 10 minutes to prep and then it bakes for about 50 minutes or so. You’ll have time while it’s baking for household chores or just relaxing.
I’m thinking this would also be great cooked on a campfire – just pay attention to your cooking time so that your potatoes don’t get overdone. And speaking of potatoes, you really need to give these crispy potato pancakes a try, too.
So, this is a dish that you can easily throw together on busy weeknights or save for the weekend. You don’t even have to make anything to go with it – it’s got potatoes and meat, what else do you need? You could throw together a salad or even bake up a loaf of fresh bread but otherwise, this dish is all you need, and it’s one that is sure to please everyone in the family.
Simple Potato Cake with Onions
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 150 g (5 oz)
Type: Main, Garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 degrees C).
2. Season sliced potatoes with salt, herbs and garlic.
3. Add sliced onions and cubed ham.
4. Cover 9 inch (20 cm) spring form pan with parchment. Add the potato mixture and spread into even layer.
5. Bake for 50 minutes up to an hour or until potatoes are cooked through and golden brown.
6. Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
Slice potatoes in thin pieces so that they bake evenly
Dried Italian herbs on the potatoes before you bake them gives them wonderful flavor when they’re done
Add onions and ham for an all in one dish that is sure to please
Bake until potatoes are slightly brown
Garnish with fresh herbs before serving and maybe add sour cream for a little kick
- Preheat your oven to 375 F (190 degrees C).
- Season sliced potatoes with salt, herbs and garlic.
- Add sliced onions and cubed ham.
- Cover 9 inch (20 cm) spring form pan with parchment. Add the potato mixture and spread into even layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes up to an hour or until potatoes are cooked through and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
Serving Size:5 oz
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 189 Total Fat: 9g Carbohydrates: 19g Protein: 9g