Cabbage is so good for you. Really, it’s got so many vitamins as well as folate, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, and niacin, among other vital nutrients. It’s one of those super foods that you just really need to add to your diet in some form or fashion. Of course, not everyone is a fan of cabbage, which makes it difficult to get enough.
This cheesy cabbage casserole is sure to change your mind about cabbage, unless you love it and then you’ll just love it even more. From the beef to the cheese, everything in it is so delicious, and it’s a really easy casserole so it’s perfect for those busy weekdays when you want to feed the family something nutritious but you just don’t have that much time to cook.
It only takes five minutes to put this together and then you bake it for about half an hour. It’s a large enough casserole to feed the entire family, and even your most picky eater is going to love the flavors in this dish.
If you typically have trouble getting the family to reap the benefits of eating cabbage, this casserole may just be the game changer you’ve been looking for. With rice, tomatoes, and other wholesome ingredients, it’s as nutritious as it is delicious.
Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serving size: 250-350 g (9-12 oz)
Type: Main dish
1 small cabbage;
1 pound (500 g) minced beef;
1 pound (500 g) canned tomatoes;
1 cup shredded cheese;
2 tablespoon tomato paste;
1 cup uncooked rice;
2 cup tomato juice;
½ cup water;
1 large white onion.
1. Shred cabbage using knife or mandoline.
2. Brown diced onion with minced beef. Drain excess liquid.
3. Add rice, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice and water.
4. Mix shredded cabbage in, season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Let the liquids get to the boiling point over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and let it melt before serving.
Cabbage mixes with rice, beef, and tomatoes to give this casserole its delicious taste
Shredded cabbage gives the dish texture and adds so many vitamins and nutrients
Browned ground beef with onion add to the wonderful flavor of the casserole
Rice cooks in the juice of the tomatoes to perfection
Everyone in the family is sure to love the cheesy goodness!
This is a great dish for family dinners or potluck
- Shred cabbage using knife or mandolin.
- Brown diced onion with minced beef. Drain excess liquid.
- Add rice, tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, and water.
- Mix shredded cabbage in, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the liquids get to the boiling point over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese and let it melt before serving.
Serving Size:10 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 11.4gSaturated Fat: 5.9gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 34.9gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 6.9gProtein: 31.7g