As soon as people hear the words ‘homemade jam’, they picture themselves hanging around the stove for hours on end. I’m sure that’s really the only thing stopping people from making tasty fruity preserves themselves. Thankfully, though, this doesn’t have to be the case anymore; you can now whip up a jar or few within minutes to enjoy on some bread or a scone, or even a pancake.
Al you need here is a microwave and two ingredients: plain white sugar (250g) and mixed berries (250g) – this will yield about one jar’s worth so adjust your measurements accordingly if you want more. Have a look at some of our other awesome microwave hacks to make your life just that little bit easier.
Jam recipe by Mumsnet.
Now just follow these easy steps:
- Mix your berries and sugar together in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Place it in the microwave for five minutes so that the sugar dissolves.
- Stir the saucy mixture and put it back in the microwave for another 12 minutes. While you wait, stick a plate in the freezer and leave it to chill in there for about five minutes.
- When the last microwave round is up, remove the bowl (it will be piping hot so be careful!) and give it a final stir.
- Now comes the freezer test: put a small amount onto the chilled plate and put it back into the freezer. After two minutes, take it out and run your finger through the middle of the jam dollop – if the two sections remain separated then your jam has passed the test, if they draw back together then it will need a few more minutes in the microwave.
- Let it cool for about 15 minutes before spooning your delicious jam into a jam jar to show off to your friends and family.
What’s great about this homemade version is that not only will you be saving money, but you know exactly what’s in there – no unknown preserves or what have you. The next time that you make your microwave cheesecake, you can add your homemade jam to the mix instead of the store-bought stuff!
How quick and simple even I can't screw this up!!!!! I might even impress the family FINALLY with my new "gourmet" jam!
does the minutes in the microwave don't break the vitamines and minarals i the fruit of the jam?
Definitely trying this!!
Thank you look so easy 🙂
Arthur in the garden!
HELP!! I tried this and within a few minutes of being out of the microwave it hardened and I was stuck with chunks hard as jolly ranchers. What did I do wrong? It also made a heck of a mess in the microwave. I had to throw out a bowl and spoon because it was hardened on there. That was one mess Dawn Dish soap couldn't clean up.