Tires are very resilient and durable, which is a great thing when they’re on the wheels of your car, but those very same attributes make them problematic waste items. A tire with no tread is a nightmare for a driver, but it also opens doors to some creative upcycling, since you still have the strength in the rubber. Old tires may not be all that difficult to come by, you can ask around at gas stations, car dealerships, tire companies and even online community sites.
I was so impressed when I found this awesome idea of using just three tires to create a beautiful pond water feature in your garden.
Here’s what you need:
- Tires – this example uses one tractor tire and two car tires, but it’s up to you!
- Different-sized rocks and stones
- Tarp (it must be water-resistant)
- Sand and gravel
- Jig saw
- Wooden slab (or whatever else you have to level the sand)
Here’s what you do:
- Measure the size of the tires and dig holes, respectively
- Pour a level layer of sand in the hole
- Fit in the tire and close up any gaps around it
- Using the jig saw, cut off the top part of the tire
- Using the tarp, line each tire; use the gravel and rocks to outline the tire and keep the tarp in place
- Fill with water and decorate as you wish
The beauty of this project is in its versatility; you can use as many tires as you like, place them however you want, and decorate to your liking! This pond feature really brings a whole new element to your garden, and if you have dogs or little kids, they’ll really enjoy splashing around during the warmer months.