Lighten Your Hair Naturally for Summer with These Great Homemade Recipes
Everyone wants lighter hair in summer. Well, maybe not everyone but most people do prefer a lighter look for the warmer months. If you tend to want to highlight your hair during the summer but prefer to steer clear of harsh chemical lighteners, there is a great homemade recipe that you can try. These recipes are using uses all natural ingredients so there is no damage to your hair. You may remember spritzing lemon juice on your hair when you were younger and hoping that it would lighten. Well, this is about the same thing only with a few key ingredients thrown in.
Homemade lightening is much less expensive than buying highlighter in the store and you can use it more than once because there are no chemicals to cause dry and brittle hair. Here are a few different lightening methods that you can try:
6. Vitamin C
– Vitamin C is great for your hair. Not only with it lighten your locks, it helps to keep them healthy. Just take about 8 or 9 Vitamin C tablets, crush them and mix with your favorite shampoo. Shampoo as usual and then condition.
7. Henna Powder
– Henna Powder mixed with chamomile is a great lightening agent. You will need:
- Henna Powder – You can get this at most natural food stores
- Chamomile – Powder is best and this also comes from natural food stores
- Boiling water
You just have to mix equal amounts of each powder to make a thick paste when added to boiling water. Allow this mixture to cool and then comb it into your wet hair. Place a shower cap or a plastic bag over your hair and leave the mixture for about an hour – note that if you have darker hair, you can leave it for up to 2 hours. Remove the plastic and rinse the mixture from your hair.
– Just rinsing your hair with water and vinegar will help to lighten it. It takes a bit of time for this to work so it is best for those looking for gradual lightening. Just mix one part vinegar with 6 parts water and rinse hair. Leave the rinse on for at least 15 minutes. Apple cider vinegar works the best and smells a bit better.
– You can mix salt with water and get natural lightening as well. If you have ever swam in salt water, you know how this works. Just mix 1 part salt with about 5 parts water and rinse your hair. Allow to sit in hair for at least 15 minutes and then rinse clean.
– Of course, if you want to go old school, you can just mix a cup of water with about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and apply it to your hair. Then just sit in the sunlight until your hair dries. This is another natural way to lighten hair that is a bit more subtle.